http://www.abbeywoodmoving.com/
416-292-1107
1-800-565-4888

Monday, April 11, 2011

How to Ship Motorcycles - abbeyWood Moving GTA Toronto movers

Spring is in air and if you are like me, you’ve already had your motorcycle on the road a few times. As a young mover, I always dreamed of pulling up into a new city with my big rig, and rolling out the back door on a sleek motor bike. The problem is and always will be space. Simply throwing a motorcycle on the back end of any truck makes any owner nervous, especially if it is filled to the roof with furniture. The Solution is a motorcycle crate.



Motorcycle crates typically have a recessed or walled floor that stop the wheels from moving during transport. Air can be released from the tires to help the wheel fit snugly between the walls. Next, have four ratchet straps secure each corner of the bike to the corner of the crate. I prefer to have a second person compress the suspension slightly while I tighten the straps to ensure it is as snug as possible. Using the kickstand is not generally required but I do it whenever possible. Fully-walled, wooden motorcycle crates can provide the best strength and security. When moving in Toronto and Ontario, I can have my motorcycle on board the moving truck and load on top of the crate if needed. If by chance something fell and hit the crate the wood would be more than enough to stop the impact. Wooden crates can be bulky, but can be DIY with little experience or tools. The most practical and lightweight crates I have seen are the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle crates. Although more expensive they are highly portable and can break down and store easily. They consist of an aluminum base and cardboard walls. The Harley-Davidson Motorcycle crates can be purchased through Mackie Harley-Davidson in Oshawa Ontario.


Shipping a motorcycle on your next move does not mean you need a crate. A few straps and a steady driver is more than enough to get your bike home in a small trailer or flatbed. I once shipped 8 dirt bikes from Toronto to New Jersey with just straps. I had the bikes in a row perpendicular to my direction of travel. One person applied pressure to the suspension while I ratchet strapped all four corners of each bike. I then placed metal decking bars wrapped in furniture pads on each side of the bike to provide a secondary support if by chance the strapping failed. No kickstands were used in this case, and everything reached their destination safe and secure.

Drive safe & Keep it on two wheels.

22 comments:

  1. yes the tanport of vehicles like motor bike becomes difficult as we need more space for them
    Toronto Movers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love heavy bikes , This has been a very significant blog indeed. I've acquired a lot of helpful information from your article.
    Toronto movers

    ReplyDelete
  3. its a cool blog. i like it so plz keep shearing nice blogs.

    Toronto movers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relocation services have become easily to accomplish due to availability of many relocating company that are operating efficiently to serve you. Relocation is a weary task that creates tediousness to all those who are willing to relocate.

    Packers and Movers Chandigarh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post! Hope you are feeling better soon. That dog of yours looks so comfy! I think Theresa, Ramona, and Sonja should all check in to a funny farm!!!I would give my right arm to have lunch with Andy Cohen and listen to what he really thinks of the whole bunch! Love your blog even more now that we have the RHO everywhere in common.

    Packers Movers Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Post.
    The information you shared will make people really comfortable and mover services more trustworthy to ship the thing even at far locations.

    Moving Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I am also running a shipping company. I love the way you describe your business here. i love to read blog post related to shipping. Love to be here again. Keep it on with this type of post...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Motorcycles are inherently tricky beasts. They're bulky and heavy enough to not be portable, but they are tight and compact enough to be rather wobbly and fragile. Not to mention their complicated internal clockwork. These should be taken into consideration when shipping and handling them, along with the vessels that will carry them, either by land, sea or air.

    Pedro @ Orbit

    ReplyDelete
  9. There has been a growing trend, where people are moving from one country to another because of job opportunities. As exciting as it is moving to another country and experiencing a new culture in some cases, the stresses of moving so far away are beyond compare. If you are looking for international shipping companies in Toronto stay here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m in love with this website. I have visited this site so frequently.
    I discovered this website on the internet. I have gotten a good stuff of information. Many thanks. keep updating me.
    change my address

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. northridge moving companies

    ReplyDelete
  12. Planning to hire packers and best movers in pune for your shifting and not sure how much it costs to hire a professional movers and packers company for your shifting? Well, shifting and relocation charges vary on several factors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read your blog frequently and I just thought I’d say keep up the amazing work!
    movers singapore

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice and amazing blog I have never seen a blog like this have learned many thing from this blog if you need any kind of packers and
    movers service please visit our website EPackers and movers Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a real ability for writing unique content. I like how you think and the way you represent your views in this article. I agree with your way of thinking. Thank you for sharing. moving companies venice

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post. long beach moving company

    ReplyDelete